Teaching Standards
Before thinking about becoming to a teacher, I had known what teaching standards were and knew what they were for but I never thought twice about them. Now I think about them in a different light. Before, I had known that they were there for teachers to make sure we met them and thats what they based all of their lessons on. Now, I understand how critical it is to make sure that each student is meeting these standards so that they can be successful in all of their future endeavors. As a student, sometimes it's hard to see why your teachers are "making" you do these things that may seem ridiculous or unnecessary, but now I understand the reasoning behind each move that teachers make, they are all to make sure that students succeed and meet content standards.
As a future teacher, like I said, I view content standards in a different light then I do/did as a typical student. I now understand that these standards are set in place to make sure that students are meeting and reaching goals by the end of each grade level so that they can advance in their learning and become successful in the future. Teachers want the best for their students and it's important to make sure that all students are meeting, or even going above and beyond, these standards. It gives students and teachers a common goal to reach.
I learned a lot about deconstructing standards in the past week. Being able to take a standard, recognize the content, skills, and context is a big part in writing learning targets for multiple lessons per standard. I feel pretty confident in being able to do this often and in the future when looking at standards for whatever grade level(s) I end up teaching.

Comments
Post a Comment