Myself As a Learner
From as far back as I can remember in school, I have always been a visual learner. Needing things to be written down in order to remember them, have demonstrations done before me in order to know how to do it, etc. Once I have been shown, I can usually pick up on the material pretty quickly, but if the material is presented to me in any other way (auditory or kinesthetic), it is hard for me to learn. I have always been one to procrastinate as well. I know this is such a bad habit, but I tend to get in my head a lot about assignments so I put them off in order to avoid the anxieties that present themselves. I think the reasons that the anxieties start is because I put the assignments off for so long that I get stressed about due dates and getting it done on time. It is a vicious cycle and mental battle that I need to be more aware of and learn how to prevent from happening.
I think the one thing that impacts me most as a learner is the teacher that I have for the class. If I have a connection with that teacher, feel that they are nice, I enjoy the way that they present material, etc., I find myself learning the content better and more willing to dedicate my time to assignments. This makes me want to be a better learner and really engage in the content more. I also feel that technology has really impacted my life as a learner because of the assistance that it gives, and the wide variety of tools that is has to offer. As someone that has been in school for 18 years now (wow that's a long time), I have seen the way that technology has advanced and created more opportunities in the learning/teaching community. I have learned how to navigate different platforms that have assisted and advanced my learning and I feel that because of technology I am a better learner.
Overcoming the challenges that I face as a learner is an everyday battle. I have dealt with procrastination when it comes to school for many years and try my best to not procrastinate, but some days it gets the best of me. I need to start planning out my days, hour by hour, and really holding myself accountable to the set schedules that I make for myself in order to get assignments done on time and not wait to do them until the last minute. One thing that really distracts me is my phone, so setting it out of reach will benefit me immensely as well.

Comments
Post a Comment